The Evil Scientist by Mark Angelo s. dela Peña

Our professor in the Creative Writing class, Madam Cindy Abarabar, asked us to write something about an evil scientist. Here's the product:

I followed the evil scientist into a dark room. What I saw, I would never forget.

Not so many evil scientists live in our town. Roughly, evil scientists make up only 2 or 3% of our population. However, scientists are as famous as they are few.

The Schrouds and the Frixmitts are the three most famous families of evil scientists in our town. Other evil-science families are either dormant or broke.

The Schrouds are famous for having invented weapons that could kill anyone in the most painful way. One of their invented weapons could boil the brain inside the head and afterwards, make it explode, pushing blood and gray-flesh out of one’s ears, noses, eyes and mouth.

Another of the Schrouds’ famous evil invention is the gut-vomiter. When fired to anyone, it triggers the brain to send vomiting signals to the body so strong that the person would, after seconds, vomit his guts out.

Equally amazing as the Schrouds’ inventions are the Frixmitts’. The Frixmitts are famous for their potions. They invented the devourer and the stoner.

When anyone takes in even just a drop of devourer, he will eventually feel a very strong craving and hunger for flesh – his own flesh. The victim will eat his own body until he runs out of blood or suffers too much pain and dies.

The stoner makes even more mesmerizing effects. One drop of this potion to anyone’s drink will make him suffer the slowest, most painful death imaginable. Every tendon and tissue and all soft bones in his body will become hard bones in the course of 24 hours. This will hinder him from any movement whatsoever and will lead to death due to hunger, thirst and lack of blood circulation.

I would love to be an evil scientist but unfortunately, it should run in my blood. No one can be an evil scientist unless he was born as an evil scientist.

Evil scientists are expected to live by a single code of conduct – to be as evil as possible. They are expected to hatch diabolical plots, threaten everybody and cause heinous and cataclysmic disasters all over the world.

I have dreamed of becoming an evil scientist my whole life and I wish to be one so much that I constructed my mini evil-scientist lab in our home. Of course, mom doesn’t know anything about this.

Because I’m a big Frixmitt fan, I have always wished to discover a potion more evil and more damaging than what they have already done. I wish to be known as the one who bettered the Frixmitts.

One time, I was walking in the market, looking for stuff I could use for my lab and buying things to fill up my supply when I saw Transky Frixmitt hugging a paper bag. I immediately followed where he was headed.

Transky is the youngest member of the house of the Frixmitts. He is 24 – 5 years older than I am.

So far, Transky hasn’t contributed anything to their family’s fame yet. Everyone in their family has invented or discovered something evil but Transky hasn’t yet. There are rumors roaming around saying that Transky is working on something.

I followed him until we reached a small hut near under the bridge. I hoped he didn’t see me.
When he entered the big hut, I poked my eye on one of the holes to see through the dark inside. As I have expected, it was a laboratory. It has all the gadgets a rich scientist would have in his evil lab.

Transky set down the paper bag and immediately fished out all its contents. I was shocked because I didn’t see any laboratory apparatus from the paper bag. No flasks. No graduated cylinders. No scalpels. No whatsoever. I knew there was something fishy about hiding one’s lab under a bridge and disguising it as a lowly hut.

Instead, I saw trash – pieces of junk from the garbage truck. He fished out crumpled papers, half-eaten apples, foam plastics and the sorts you would throw into the garbage.

He seemed to have a lot of those things because he put each of the pieces of junk to a container. Afterwards, he skipped frantically to another table where there are boiling chemicals of green, red and black. I assumed chemicals were a potion he was trying to concoct.

In a cheerful motion, he took a droplet of the concocted potion using a dropper and picked up a trash from his container. He dropped the potion to the crumpled tissue trash and suddenly, there was a magical green glow.

He happily picked up the tissue after the green glow settled down and ate it. I was shocked! Why did he eat that piece of garbage?

Not long later, I heard a vomiting sound, as if he wanted to regurgitate the tissue he ate. Something went wrong. He groped for a glass of water and gulped all the water in a sprint. He stared blankly for a moment and then, went straight to his drawing board.

I thought he discovered or realized something. He changed some variables in the formulae written in the board and started revising each and every part. Then he shrieked excitedly.

He went to the table and dropped a chemical here and pinched an ingredient there when all of a sudden the brisk boiling of the potion halted and settled. It was done, I thought. He did it.

Once again, he took a drop of the potion using a dropper and picked up another trash from his container. Now, it’s a foam plastic. He dropped the potion to the trash and when the green glow stopped, he ate it.

At first, he was reluctant to taking the bite but when he smelled it and tasted it with his tongue, he gnawed it like a bun or something really delicious. The potion was a trash-food converter. I couldn’t believe it!

However amazed I was to having witnessed a Frixmitt cooking a potion right before my naked eyes, I kept wondering what evil the potion has. He is an evil scientist. Their code of conduct requires them to hatch diabolical plots, threaten everybody and cause heinous and cataclysmic disasters all over the world.

He dropped the potion to every trash he had and when all was done, he put them back to a clean sack and headed out. I maintained that I could not be seen.

I followed him until we reached the back of the market. I knew that place but I had never had the chance to go there because that was the place of very, very poor people.

As we entered the premises, kids started crowding him. Most of the kids didn’t have shoes nor slippers. If one had, it was probably ripped or unusable.

He knelt when the kids reached him and started fishing out the pieces of garbage from the sack. Children shouted “Is this what you promised us.” He nodded. The trace of untamed happiness was obvious in the tips of his smile.

What I saw, I would never forget. I would never forget how he could have done that. He was supposed to be an evil scientist. He wasn’t supposed to help little, dirty, poor children. He was supposed to invent destructive works of science. He was supposed to concoct deadly potions to threaten life and mankind.

I would never forget how he betrayed us. I would never forget how he bent the codes of conduct of being an evil scientist. He was supposed to be evil…

No comments:

Post a Comment